Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Kaniesha's Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Authors Who Deserve More Recognition


Top Ten Tuesday is a book blog meme created and hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. This week's top ten tuesday is regarding ten authors who deserve more recognition.

To start this off, I'm incredibly biased. I'm also not well informed of the book world and whether or not my favorite authors get a lot of recognition. I do know that I don't see my favorite books/series/authors mentioned as often as others so I'll be posting based off that. Click on read more to see my list!

1. D.J. MacHale. I love all of his books. He just released another book about a week ago that I haven't read yet but I'm sure I'll love it too. His Pendragon and Morpheus Road series genuinely frightened me and I think that's fantastic! If books make you think about them when you're not reading them, the author is probably doing a good job.
2.  John Flanagan. Granted, I've only read two of his books and only because I randomly saw it in the library and liked the cover. But he takes a topic and goes at it but teaches the readers about it too. In the books I've read, the whole series is about boats/ships and how they're handled/built/etc. But he teaches the terms he's using and there are underlying messages too.
 3. Andrea Cremer. I've read almost every book that she's published as well. If you look at my original rating for the first of her books, it's three stars but I still read the sequel. I don't regret it ta all! Her books are definitely some of my favorites and she gets better with each book.
4. Lisa McMann. I've read four of her books and they're all in the contemporary category which is usually a genre I don't care much for but they're brilliant! I love how her characters are so realistic and how easy it is to get attached to them and what they're going through even if it's not something that is exactly normal.
5. Kelley Armstrong. I've read her Darkest Powers and Darkness Rising trilogies. They're pretty cliche but the characters are lovable and it's easy to get caught up in all the drama. I'd say they're more for younger teens but that doesn't make them any less enjoyable. 
6. Kiersten White. Kiersten's Paranormalcy trilogy is one of the most fun set of books I've read. They're pretty light as far as intensity goes and the characters are cute. There's a lot of interesting things that go on in the trilogy and I love how visual everything is. I really can't recommend those three books enough. Not to mention the author herself is silly and fun and I do not regret following her on twitter at all.
7. Maggie Stiefvater. I first read the Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy when I was going through my werewolf phase.. that or the books started the phase. I really love the emotions involved in her books. You really can feel the confusion and heart break and love when reading her books.
8. Jenny Nimmo. I started Jenny's Charlie Bone series when I was 12. I finished them when I was 17 or so. I did follow the series along as well as I could and it's still one of my favorites. The magic and good vs evil is written so well. I felt like I was growing up with the kids at the time that I read them (even though they were considerably younger as I got older).
9. Sarah J. Maas. I believe that Sarah currently only has one book published: Throne of Glass. The sequel to it will come out next month. Throne of Glass is literally one of the best books I've ever read. I've read a lot of good books. Everything about ToG is brilliant. The characters, character development, character relationship development, emotions, everything. Of course there's the dreaded love triangle but it's written without so much foreshadowing so it doesn't get boring. Sarah is brilliant!
10. Alexandra Bracken.  I love Alex! I found her by seeing the cover for The Darkest Minds somewhere and saw that she had a previously published book, Brightly Woven so I read that first. Brightly Woven isn't perfect but it's wonderful all the same. The Darkest Minds is such a dark book - I hate to use the adjective dark because it's in the title but it truly does fit - but once again, wonderful characters. You really do fall in love with them and their story and battles. It's also pretty heartbreaking. Alex is one of the best.
Once again - I have no idea how well received these authors are but they're all pretty kick-ass so I'd be perfectly fine if they got even more recognition than they already have. It also may or may not be coming to my attention that I should read more from male authors. Maybe later; for now we'll just focus on these lovely ladies.

5 comments:

  1. I've finally found my soulmate! I LOVE Sarah J. Maas book series "Throne of Glass". I've read the advanced copy of the book 2 "Crown of Midnight" and it was 100x times better than the first one. There is going to be a hell of a ride waiting for you if you're planning to read the next book. :)

    Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG. I'm really super looking forward to Crown of Midnight. Only a 5-6 weeks until it's released!

      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. This week's TTT was difficult for me. I agree with your introduction and mine is similar. I don't know enough to gauge how much recognition the authors I love garner but I think more people should read Maggie (even if I despised her Twilight, I mean, Wolf series). I have always wanted to read the Pendragon series.

    Chikadee@ http://tenuinanoa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really hard to guess how well known authors are - especially with how big the world is, haha.
      That is probably it! I really liked Twilight at the time that I read it and I'm still a casual fan of the series.
      If you ever have time, the Pendragon series is fantastic! The main character is a male which is hard for me to find in YA. So many female leads!

      Delete
  3. I really love Maggie Stiefvater's writing style. I loved her Wolves of Mercy Falls books and I can't wait to read more by her! :)

    ReplyDelete