Saturday, February 1, 2014

Heather's Monthly Roundup: January


This is my third month doing this and I really like keeping track of things this way.  (Plus it really helped when I had a brain fart and accidentally deleted four books from my shelf last year and then scrambled to put them back on.)

I mentioned this briefly in the yearly roundup post, but I am currently on a reread of Harry Potter.  This month I have read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, however, also like I mentioned in that post, I'm not counting them towards my yearly goal of 100 new books, but I will mention when I am rereading something.

01  The Magicians by Lev Grossman (☆☆) - There may be a review for this later, depending on whether or not I can smooth out some kinks.  Kan beta-ed it and told me that, the way it is, she would recommend inserting sub-headings since I veer all over the place discussing what I thought.

02  The Rose of Fire by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (☆☆☆) - I read this because I'm intending to begin the Cemetery of Forgotten Books series sometime soon and I have to say, while I took off a few stars for the writing, the imagery was phenomenally beautiful.  It felt like a fairytale in some places.  It made me very excited to start the series.

03  The Ghost Next Door by R.L. Stine (☆☆☆) - Early last year, I made a decision to read this series, the entire series, because I missed out on an extremely large part of the series when I was younger.  I think I read a grand total of three back in the day and, since the covers scared my brother, I was never able to buy many.  While this is one of the better in the series so far, parts of the writing are not good.

04  Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison (☆☆☆☆☆) - This series is just a delight.  I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard at anything and I really enjoy Georgia's character.

05  Skippy Dies by Paul Murray (☆☆) - =/  This is like Middlesex for me.  It sounded very fascinating, but I was bored to tears reading it.  However, it is well written and I appreciate the realistic look at life in a boys boarding school.

06  'It's OK, I'm Wearing Really Big Knickers' by Louise Rennison (☆☆☆☆☆) - I think this may be my favorite of the two Confessions of Georgia Nicolson novels so far because it gave me one scene in particular where I laughed, honestly, for five minutes straight.  I was crying with how funny and off the wall it was.  As Robbie said to Georgia, "does anything normal ever happen to you?"

07  Wildwood by Colin Meloy (☆☆☆) - Eh, is all I have to say on this for now.  I wasn't that impressed, but I also wasn't completely let down.  A review is coming.



Bit of a slow month for me!  I think I hit a slump after all the power reading I did last year, and last year at this time I had finished 17 books.  But I think I'm about to get back into the swing of things with the books I'm reading now.

No comments:

Post a Comment