Saturday, February 22, 2014

Kaniesha Rants: Snakeroot by Andrea Cremer (Spoiler Warning)


Title: Snakeroot
Series: Nightshade Legacy #1
Author: Andrea Cremer
Release date: December 10, 2013
Publisher: Philomel
Genres: paranormal, romance, werewolves
GoodreadsAmazonBook DepositoryabebooksBarnes & Noble
Fans asked for it, and now they've got it!
Andrea Cremer is continuing the story she began in in her internationally bestselling trilogy: Nightshade, Wolfsbane and Bloodrose.

Bosque Mar haunts the dreams of both Adne and Logan, trying to escape for the Nether, where Calla, Shay and the other Guardians trapped him in the final battle in the War of All Against All...

Will he turn Adne to the dark side? Will Logan reclaim his birthright? And will darkness take over our world?

Spoilers are in this rant.

Rant: Let's begin my new feature of "ranting" instead of reviewing with this book, Snakeroot. If you've read a few of my reviews before, I tend to get really annoyed with things that are useless and unnecessary. This book is entirely useless and unnecessary.

Don't get me wrong, unlike most people who've read this "series", I really loved it! I loved the characters, that they were werewolves, that Calla was following her heart and her instincts and doing what was right for her even if it was selfish and reckless (and annoying) at times. It was her life and her friends had the opportunity to follow her and stay with her if they chose to trust her. (Spoiler: A lot of them didn't). It's been a while since I read the original trilogy and I rated the first one three stars, I'd still recommend it to you if you like werewolves. It was and is still fascinating to me.

This, however, does not have werewolves. It has one who is a ghost, (spoiler: Ren is back from the dead sort of, I'll get to this later), but the rest are just wolves now. I'm over half done with it and it doesn't even have any real conflict. It's just following Logan and Adne, previously side characters, as they deal with the Original Bad Guy Bosque Mar.

See, I'm angry about this already. Really? We can't let him go? Did we not spend 5 books reading about him taking over and then being defeated? We have to keep going? Please, Cremer, just stop. Here he's haunting Adne, which he shouldn't have any power to do since he was defeated, but he does because ?? And Logan is contacting him (turns out Bosque Mar is his great-grandpa!), which he shouldn't be able to do because none of them have any more power. That's what happened when he betrayed Bosque and let Shay defeat him. But again, no, because we're incapable of accepting that and moving on with our lives.

On to Ren! Ren is back from the dead. Sort of. He's still dead. He's a ghost but he can appear and talk to people. He's pretty much Logan's slave now. So if you're one of the people whining on Goodreads about wanting Ren back, here you go. His death in Bloodrose was also unnecessary (I'm sorry I keep using that word so much but so many things about these books is unnecessary) but it happened and we need to let it go.

Note: I'm only 59% done with the book with the above rant, we'll see what else I can come up with by the time I'm finished with it.
Also I checked Goodreads and Cremer is planning an entire TRILOGY for this "legacy"? I'm so done. So, so done. (As soon as I finish this one even though it might've ruined the series for me already).

I finally finished Snakeroot this morning after avoiding it for about two weeks. The book unsurprisingly did not get any better. My rant above is suffice, I don't really have much more to say. If you're picky and enjoyed the original trilogy, don't read this. It'll potentially ruin it for you. If you're a fan of stories going on and on and on for no particular reason, then maybe you will actually like this one.

Rating: -3/5 stars

3 comments:

  1. This review made me laugh! I will definitely skip this series!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should, honestly! A lot of people didn't like the original Nightshade trilogy itself but like I said in the rant, I'd recommend if you like werewolves. Then Cremer wrote a 2 book prequel, didn't have werewolves but I'd recommend if you'd like strong minded female lead characters. This just.. very unnecessary and irrelevant!

      Thank you so much for reading!

      Delete