Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Heather's Monthly Roundup: March


I have to apologize for the hiatus because it was mostly me.  I've been terribly sick the last two months and then this past week has just been rough with my allergies.  I might not be around much, but I'm still reading!

01 Johannes Cabal and the Blustery Day by Jonathan L. Howard (☆☆☆☆☆) - I finally got to get my hands on Howard's novellas and they're very good.  This is an incredible start to the Cabal series (cough book four comes out this year cough) because it shows that Howard seemingly always had a very good grasp on how to write this series and Johannes character.

02 The Gates by John Connolly (☆☆☆☆☆) - Hello, new favorite series!  This had humor similar to Pratchett's, but with a style all its own.  Is it bad I really loved the novel after things started getting bleak for the main characters?  It was HILARIOUS at that point, but I was still rooting for the good guys!

03 Exeunt Demon King by Jonathan L. Howard (☆☆☆☆) - More of Johannes' early adventures.  This one was possibly an even better look at early Johannes because it shows that he wasn't always so on top and he can be taken by surprise.  I really hope the day comes soon when The Ereshkigal Working and House of Gears are available on Amazon.

04 Filming the Ghost by Jonathan L. Howard (☆☆☆☆) - I didn't connect with this story like the other ones.  It was fascinating seeing the process behind filming and the story itself was creepy, but there was something that I . . . couldn't connect with.

05 Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke (☆☆☆☆☆) - If I could sum this up in one word, it would be "Wow!"  But lucky for everyone (sarcasm) I've written a review that will be up very soon!

06 Between the River and the Road by Jonathan L. Howard (☆☆☆☆☆) - This was better than FtG for me.  It worked and it had a bit of a creep factor to it.

07 Sorrow's Knot by Erin Bow (☆☆☆) - Since it was uncertain if I would be able to get a copy of Yaqui Delgado to read before the month's end, I went back to some books we didn't get to do in December.  If Kan and I ever write a review of this I'll tell you everything, but for right now I will just say I was underwhelmed.

08 Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass by Meg Medina (☆☆☆☆) - This was intense and a bit triggering for me because I have been in a similar position (but not over a boy).  I do have other thoughts on it, which will come up in our dual review.

09 Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (☆☆☆☆) - We read this back in 10th grade, so I wasn't going into this with no knowledge, and I was honestly surprised at how much I did remember (given that I didn't get a copy to read because of budget cuts =|).  I really enjoyed the book and definitely agree with the Jane = proto-feminist assessment.

10 The Diviners by Libba Bray (☆☆☆☆) -You've heard me talk about this book way too much!  You know my feelings on it and how much I need that sequel in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment