Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Kaniesha's Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Most Unique Books I've Read

Top Ten Tuesday is a book blog meme created and hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. This week we're choosing the top ten unique books we've ever read.

1. Angelfall by Susan Ee
I haven't read a lot of angel books but I'm assuming this one stands out because angels are not good guys. I really enjoyed it.

2. Cinder by Marissa Meyer
I love that this book is so bleak about everything but still not monotonic like a lot of books get. A character can not have hope and still be interesting to read about!

3. Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
Did someone say DRAGONS? Yes, and it was me. When you think dragons, or at least when I think dragons, I imagine fire and destruction. Nope, you're not really going to find that here. In fact, the opposite! Read it and find out.

4. Mind Games by Kiersten White
I had no expectations going into this but it was so intense and incredible. I never have feelings while reading books like I did with this one.

5. The Diviners by Libba Bray
The Diviners was just incredible. There is so much to this story and it gets overwhelming a little bit but not enough to turn you away. It's supposed to be that way. We feel what the characters feel. Their fear and confusion.



6. Splintered by A.G. Howard
I love that this takes a fairty tale and makes it a lot darker and brings in characters that reflect the different sides of the main character.

7. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
How many books are there about a badass teenager FEMALE assassin? Very few, I'm guessing.

8. Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple
This was so bizarre and I've never read anything like it and I'm not sure I'll ever read anything like it again. It was weird, hilarious and frustrating.

9. Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
I've read a lot of dystopias (Who hasn't?) but this one has always set the bar high up for me. I read this series when I was in middle school and I really hope to re-read it soon because I loved it that much. This takes the dystopian world that you wouldn't ever want to live in to.. wait.. I think I might actually want to live there. Actually for years I've been saying I wish our world was like the Uglies world. The technology available is incredible.

10. Five Ancestors Series by Jeff Stone
This series is following five to seven kids throughout an incredible journey. Each book changes POV but the story is pretty seamless. It's centered around Cantonese/Chinese culture and martial arts. I've never read anything close to this series before or since.

7 comments:

  1. I've had Seraphina on my shelf for ages, but for some reason I haven't read it yet. I'm going to have to change that soon because I'm curious to see what you mean about the lack of fire and destruction! I don't think I've heard of the Five Ancestors series, so I'm gonna check it out :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seraphina is so good! I had no idea someone could basically write a contemporary with dragons. Talk about crazy cross-genres.

      Delete
  2. So many good books on your list! I love The Diviners, Cinder, Angelfall and Throne of Glass! And you make me all curious about Seraphina and Uglies again. Wanted to read both for a while now but never got to them yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah!! Definitely check them out if you can. Uglies has been one of my favorites for soooo long.

      Delete
  3. I loove Throne of Glass! Oh gosh, you've listed a bunch of my favourites here...Cinder, Angelfall, Seraphina...ohh, wasn't it awesome how the dragons were shape-shifters?! I'd NEVER read that before Seraphina! And let's just say I have some intense love for cyborgs now. x) My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Uglies! It's one of my favourite Dystopian series. I see a lot of elements from it in other series now, I do wish Dystopia was a little more original. Angelfall is on my current book pile too, hoping to read it soon!

    Gunmen, Raptors and Love Letters - Under The Mountain's TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angelfall was really dark and kind of gross but really incredible. Dystopian these days is all really similar or I would've put Divergent and the Legend trilogy here tbh.

      Delete