Monday, July 14, 2014

Kaniesha Reviews: Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins


Title: Rebel Belle
Series: Rebel Belle #1
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Release date: April 8, 2014
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Genres: supernatural, mythology, magic
Goodreadsbuy the book
Harper Price, peerless Southern belle, was born ready for a Homecoming tiara. But after a strange run-in at the dance imbues her with incredible abilities, Harper's destiny takes a turn for the seriously weird. She becomes a Paladin, one of an ancient line of guardians with agility, super strength and lethal fighting instincts.

Just when life can't get any more disastrously crazy, Harper finds out who she's charged to protect: David Stark, school reporter, subject of a mysterious prophecy and possibly Harper's least favorite person. But things get complicated when Harper starts falling for him—and discovers that David's own fate could very well be to destroy Earth.

With snappy banter, cotillion dresses, non-stop action and a touch of magic, this new young adult series from bestseller Rachel Hawkins is going to make y'all beg for more.


Review: I’d wanted to read Rebel Belle ever since I first saw the cover because a pink cover with pearls and a knife? Yes, please! But with all these other wonderful looking books I wanted to read, I kind of pushed it back and hadn’t planned on reading it so soon. However, the ladies over at Read. Discuss. Repeat. chose the book for the readalong for this month, May 2014, and it went back up my list!

The greatest thing about this book by far -- and I really mean by far -- is that it sucks you in at page one. If you can read the first chapter of this book and not love it then, I really have no idea what to tell you. (Yes I do, it’s don’t read it, because you probably won’t enjoy it). Almost everything about this story is so well written, consistent and brilliant.

This book is about a girl named Harper Price. Harper is your resident overachiever. She’s captain of the cheer squad, on the student council, gets above average grades and everyone knows who she is. It was refreshing for me to read a character like this because I’m so used to reading about the peasants that started from the bottom (haha, I’m funny, I know). But Harper is already at the top so having to adapt to the life or death situations she is thrust into.. kind of takes her down a few pegs. She literally can not handle all of these things at once and seeing her accept that she can’t be perfect really made me like her.

The only thing about this book that I can truly complain about is the romance. The main character does end up in a love triangle, so if those aren’t for you, run now! It’s obvious which of the two she’ll choose and it’s aggravating watching it all happen. I really wish it hadn’t taken so long! Many of the problems she faces due to her stubborn nature would’ve been resolved had she thought it all out sooner.

The other characters in the book, including her love interests, are all developed smoothly and realistically. We’re never given too much of any of them without the information we need to care about them and their relation to Harper. The magic and background explanation about it isn't too much, and leaves you wanting to know more about it. (Yay for sequels!) It’s the perfect amount of everything, in my opinion.

Rating: 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Agree on the love triangle .... WHYYYYY??? And I was very upset about the way the triangle was handled in her Hex Hall series. But this was fun, with the Southern setting a all the cute and funny banter.
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the Hex Hall series yet, but I've seen a lot of good ratings, so I hope to get to it eventually. I rarely see love triangles done in a good way but this is definitely one of the worst I've seen :(

      I'd say something about the southern-ness being familiar, but as they say in the book, Virginia isn't really the south!

      You're welcome and thanks for stopping by here!

      Delete