Monday, July 7, 2014

Kaniesha Reviews: Threats of Sky and Sea by Jennifer Ellision


Title: Threats of Sky and Sea
Series: Stand Alone
Author: Jennifer Ellision
Release date: May 20, 2014
Publisher: Createspace
Genres: magic, high fantasy
Goodreadsbuy the book
Sixteen year-old Breena Perdit has spent her life as a barmaid, innocent to her father’s past and happily free from the Elemental gifts that would condemn her to a life in the Egrian King’s army. Until the day that three Elemental soldiers recognize her father as a traitor to the throne and Bree’s father is thrown in jail—along with the secrets from his last mission as the King’s assassin. Secrets that could help the King win a war. Secrets he refuses to share.

Desperate to escape before the King’s capricious whims prove her and her father’s downfall, Bree bargains with him: information for their lives. It’s a good trade. And she has faith she’ll get them both out of the King’s grasp with time.

But that was before the discovery that she’s the weapon the King’s been waiting for in his war.

Now, time is running out. To save her father’s life and understand her own, Bree must unravel the knot of her father’s past before the King takes his life– and uses her to bring a nation to its knees.

Review: I received a copy of this book from Netgalley for review, thank you!

I was interested in Threats of Sky and Sea the moment I looked at the cover and I believe that was the giveaway that Icey Books hosted. That was about three months ago and I’m glad I've gotten to read the book so early (even though it’s been two months since its release).

To start off: I reeeeeally liked this one, guys. This is an author and series to watch out for.

The book is about a girl named Breena, or as she corrects various people various times, Bree. Bree is honestly your typical up-and-coming badass, feisty heroine. She speaks bluntly and honestly even if it’s not the best of times to do so and I respect her for it. She is proud of who she is and where she came from and she isn't going to let anyone take that from her. Not nobles, not princesses, not the king. She was raised as a peasant far from the capital and everyone who speaks more than five words to her is sure to remind her of it. She is never disheveled by it though, she is merely annoyed that people think they’re better than her for superficial reasons. The problem is that I've read several characters just like Bree and I hope that the author continues on making her unique from the others.

However, the other parts of the book aren't as good as Bree herself. I feel like there’s just little bits of things missing, or things rushed in general. The plot isn't amazing but the dialogue and interactions do make up for it. The “romantic interest” was obvious on day one but it wasn't progressed well and fell flat to me. It went from about level 2 to level 22 in one scene. It felt too rushed, awkward and unnecessary. I was at a point where I was hoping it wouldn't happen just because it was so late into the story already without it but we can’t have everything. The attraction between the two is merely that, attraction, not love and where I can see it from Bree's side, this is the first boy she’s been attracted to at this intensity, we don’t get much background info or history of the boy so any way he acts is right out of the blue.

But as a character and relationship oriented reader, the lack of companionship between Bree and anyone else hurt this one for me. Where I like the strong willed, independent main characters, I also really appreciate when they've got people they can count on, talk to and trust. Unfortunately there wasn't anyone like that for Bree and little to no fun in this story. (But hopefully there will be later in the series!)

I’m not quite in love with Bree (or any of the other characters) yet. There’s nothing in the end that she wants besides answers and revenge and that bummed me out. Every time she said she wanted nothing to do with the things she was born into, I rolled my eyes. It’s sad to me that she’d reject these parts of herself that she hadn't known before just because she hadn't known before. Being humble and grateful for what you've had and have is good but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with being ambitious and curious as well. It was really nice to see the different sides and emotions of the princess as well and I hope that the author continues doing so for other characters to make them multi-dimensional.

The ending saddened me as well because it truly gets on my nerves when the only person who knows the whole story of how the main character got in their situation is unable to tell that story. (Eragon, anyone?) And I really want to see more of the Elementals/Adepts using their powers! As a huge fan of the Elementals series by Brigid Kemmerer and the Avatar cartoons, I’m excited to see more stories focused on this sort of magic.

Recommended to people like myself: fans of Throne of Glass and Poison Study.

Rating: 3.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment