Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Heather's Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I'm Not Sure I Want to Read

Top Ten Tuesday is the creation of The Broke and the Bookish, each week they post a list and one of their writers answers.  This week's topic is Top Ten Books I'm Not Sure I Want to Read

01 The Secret History
02 Red Shirts
03 The Luminaries
04 Gameboard of the Gods
05 The Atrocity Archives
06 The Name of the Wind
07 The Rook
08 The Shadow of the Wind
09 The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
10 Night Film

I can't say too much about why I'm not sure about reading them since, of course, I haven't read them.  I do read a lot of reviews before seriously considering what book to read next, and sometimes in those reviews I find things that make me think I wouldn't really enjoy the book as much as I hope.  This list doesn't mean that these books have been completely bumped off my to-read pile, but it does mean that they are much lower than they were when I first added them.

10 comments:

  1. I keep thinking about reading The Luminaries and Night Film but I haven't got around to them yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually tried starting The Luminaries the other day and while the writing was lovely, I had trouble getting into it.

      Delete
  2. The Name of the Wind was pretty good. I still need to get around to reading The Luminaries, but I'm pretty sure I'll read it eventually, so I didn't put it on my list.
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been going back and forth on starting The Name of the Wind as soon as I finish the book I'm reading now, but I'm still torn! I've heard great things about it and it gets compared to The Lies of Locke Lamora, which I absolutely loved.

      Delete
  3. For what it's worth, I think The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is an excellent book, even though on the face of it it absolutely shouldn't be (the lead character is is a fantasy stand-in of the author, there's all kinds of convoluted stuff about boring financial journalism, at times it becomes basically an IKEA catalogue...all of that should make it horrible, but somehow I find it absolutely enthralling.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend of mine and I were talking about it once and she said a lot of the same things you said. She really liked it and I believe was in the middle of the second book when we had the conversation. It does sound like something I'd be interested in because Haruki Murakami's novels read a bit like that.

      Delete
  4. Great list, especially because you have so much great stuff to read! :) I have read quite a few of these, but the two I would recommend you bump back up that list would be The Shadow of the Wind (probably my favourite book of all time, a pulpy, gothic, gorgeously written treasure of a book) and Night Film (scarier than any horror book I have ever read!)

    On a different note, how come you have a French name for your blog? Are you from France? (I ask because I am, my blog name The Library Rat, is an English translation of the French equivalent of a bookworm... :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard a lot about The Shadow of the Wind and how it's quite beautiful, but I haven't heard much about Night Film. I would really love to read Night Film, but I feel like I need to own a physical copy first.

      We were bouncing ideas back and forth one day and that one sounded the best to both of us!

      Delete
  5. *slips The Name of the Wind back onto the TBR* >.> If you enjoy fantasy, it is just an amazing fantasy series. The writing is superb, the world is so much fun and omg I'm dying for book three!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard it compared to The Lies of Locke Lamora, which I absolutely adore, and I love hearing that it's well written and has a fun world!

      Delete