Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Heather's Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Movies / Shows To Read Or Watch To Get In The Halloween Spirit

Top Ten Tuesday is the creation of The Broke and the Bookish, each week they post a list and one of their writers answers.  This week's topic is Top Ten Movies / Shows To Read Or Watch To Get In The Halloween Spirit

01  Tales from the Darkside
02  Hocus Pocus (I've put a spell on you~ and it was strong~)
03  Ghostbusters (both movies are good)
04  Tales from the Crypt
05  American Horror Story
06  Are You Afraid of the Dark? (I think I read the entire series is up on Youtube? =])
07  The Twilight Zone (I'm an original series girl, mostly because I never saw the later ones)
08  So Weird (I know this is more of a Sci Fi / X-Files kinda show, but some of these episodes were really creepy)
09  The Outer Limits
10  Night Gallery

I kinda hijacked this to include shows, sorry, but a lot of these shows defined Halloween for me and still manage to creep me out YEARS after I originally saw them.  I'm a bit of an older horror / sci fi fan with a lot of these but I promise you they're pretty unsettling.

Alternatively, I would recommend reading:

01  Goosebumps (These aren't scary, but if you're nostalgic like me you'll want to read them anyway)
02  Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (YMMV on how scary the stories are, but you cannot deny the creepiness of the original illustrations)
03  The Short and Shivery Series (This was sorta like SStTitD, but it had a ton more stories from various places in the world.  If you can get your hands on them, I highly recommend them)
04  Anything Edgar Allen Poe (I don't know what others think of him, but I seriously consider him one of the forerunners of tales of the unnatural)
05  H.P. Lovecraft (Disclaimer:  He was pretty racist.  He was basically the father of the Cosmic Horror Stories we see today and his stories had some pretty disturbing and creepy ideas.)

Alright, this post is overly long now, but I hope, if you're reading it, you got some good ideas of what to watch / read to scare yourself this Halloween.  And stay safe if you're going Trick Or Treating!

No comments:

Post a Comment