Saturday, November 30, 2013

Heather's Monthly Roundup: November


By now, we're in our second month of doing this and I'm still working out the kinks in my posts.  For now, I'm following the same format as last months and putting a small blurb about why I read the book or my reaction to it and placing a star by my absolute favorites for the month.

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist ☆
- This was a book club read and, since I had seen the original movie, I was really curious about the novel.  I really don't know what to say; it was dark and brutal but extremely well written and Lindqvist is now on my Authors to Look Out For list.

The Strange Case of Finley Jayne by Kady Cross
- You'll see our review of this and the other Cross novel soon, but I would like to say I really liked this novella.  Just keep that in mind, no matter how I sound in the review.

The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross
- I don't have many good things to say about this book and I had many problems, so I'll leave it to our review to talk more about it.

Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh
-  I've been following her blog for a long time, so when she announced a year or so ago that she was writing a book I was over the moon.  This managed to make me laugh a whole lot on a night when I really needed it, so perhaps my rating is skewed a bit.

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch
- Every time I browsed around on Amazon UK, I would always see the fourth book of this series being recommended.  I put the first on my to-read list because, hey, why not?  I actually really liked it and am looking forward to reading more.

The Grim Grotto by Lemony Snicket
- The latter books in this series have been my favorites because they completely shake up the way the Baudelaires live. 

A Dawn Most Wicked by Susan Dennard
- This novella was okay.  I felt the story about the ghosts and necromancer was stronger than the one about the romance, but of course, more to come in our review.

Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard ☆
- You might already know how I feel about this if you've been watching our Waiting on Wednesdays, but yes, this book was fantastic!  (Side note:  Dennard replied to me and favorited my tweet when I was gushing about the book on twitter!)

Light Boxes by Shane Jones
- I saw the cover for this in a photo on Tumblr and thought it was beautiful, so I looked for more information and put it on my to-read.  I do like novels that are told in different manners (I read Delicacy this year and adored it), but this didn't work for me.  That said though, it wasn't bad.

The Burglar Caught by a Skeleton and Other Singular Tales from Victorian Press by Jeremy Clay
- From the second I read the description, I thought I would love this book.  I love books that give you odd, but very real, information.  Sadly, I was more bored than anything by this.  The news articles were interesting, but they didn't provide much detail and weren't enough to really whet my appetite.

Infernal Devices by K.W. Jeter
- I keep teetering between four and five stars for this book.  It took a while to hook me and at one point I thought about giving up, but I read the last 70+% in one night and was glad I didn't.

Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente ☆
- Aaaaaah~  <3  I can't put into words how much I loved this book.  I love Valente's prose and I've added basically everything she's ever written to my to-read.  This book was just beautiful!

The Penultimate Peril by Lemony Snicket
- I'm saving The End for December, but I've been super eager to start it since finishing TPP.  As I said above, the later books have been favorites and this one sets up so much for both the reader and the Baudelaires to hope for.

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
- This is actually (spoiler alert) one of next month's reads, but I really wanted to start it.  I'll reserve my thoughts for the post for it.

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch ☆
- I finished this this morning and I want to immediately read the other two books and then sit on my hands until Lynch finishes the next book.  This was AMAZING!  One of my favorite reads this year by far!  I can't encourage people enough to go out and pick up this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment