Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Heather's Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Covers I Wish I Could Redesign

Top Ten Tuesday is the creation of The Broke and the Bookish, each week they post a list and one of their writers answers.  This week's topic is Top Ten Covers I Wish I Could Redesign

01 The US Discworld covers - The US Discworld covers look sorta like something you would maybe pick up after you were stranded in an airport and you were bored and just wanted something to take your mind off the wait time.  I feel like they've deterred people from picking them up because the US publisher wanted something different from the UK one.

02  The Girl of Fire and Thorns - I loved this book but this cover was pretty terrible.  I get the jewel on the front was supposed to be the godstone, but wowzers, it's just not an appealing design to me.

03  Going Bovine - I'm not going to pretend like this was my favorite Libba Bray book, but the cover is just... I don't know how to put it.  When I first saw it, I thought the lawn gnome was a tube of lipstick.

04  Delicacy - I have nothing against movie versions of covers, but they aren't my preference.  I feel like the scene on the cover misrepresents what goes on in the book though.  It makes it seem like it's some intense story where Natalie is ignoring Markus and he's trying to fight for her attention.

05  Red Dwarf Omnibus - I love this series so much, but I feel like that cover got the short end of the stick.  It's sad because the individual versions of those books had great covers (well, at least to me, but I'm one of the people who prefers "noisy" and vivid covers when they love a book).

06  Out - One of these days I'll tell you about how I was so in love with this book and the characters and the story right up until the last four pages or so.  It didn't completely mar my opinion of the book, but I do like to pretend it never happened.  For the cover, I wish something with the four women had been devised instead of, what I assume is, three quarters of Masako's face.

07  Sisterhood Everlasting - I didn't like this book... at all.  It wasn't terrible, but it felt like the characters hadn't really grown from the books when they were teenagers.  However, I really wish the choice in cover was better in any way.

08  Bridget Jones's Diary - I hate that cover (and the similar cover for the sequel, though that one is not as bad to me).  Don't even ask me why, it's just so unappealing to me.

09  The Troupe - After reading the book, I understood the design, but it could've been so much more.

10  Born of Illusion - (I know we didn't review this book, I keep meaning to write a review up though!)  The cover model is quite pretty, but those contacts or effects on her eyes are off to me.  Plus there's the stern look she's giving, as if she just caught her children misbehaving in the market and is really gonna scold them when she gets a hold of them.

2 comments: