Monday, December 29, 2014

Combined Post: End of the Year Survey: 2014!


So I saw that Kelley over at Oh, the Books! filled out this survey and I thought Heather and I should do it too since we rarely actually make posts together. This survey was made by Jamie over at The Perpetual Page Turner and it's her fifth year hosting it, but it's our first year participating! And here we go!
For the tiny bit that it's necessary, Kaniesha's answers will be in blue and Heather's will be in purple.
Also, very long post warning!


2014 Reading Stats
Number Of Books You Read: 55 / 116
Number of Re-Reads: 0 / 2
Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy

Best In Books
1. Best Book You Read In 2014?
K: Cruel Beauty, Of Metal and Wishes
H: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
K: The Young Elites by Marie Lu
H: The Crimson Petal and the White and The Magicians

3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
K: Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld
H: The Scandalous Sisterhood of Prickwillow Place

4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?
K: None that I know of! I got a friend to read Divergent though.
H: The Diviners

5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
K: 5a. Of Metal and Wishes 5b. The Perilous Sea by Sherry Thomas 5c. Dreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
H: 5a. Skulduggery Pleasant, 5b. The Song of the Quarkbeast, 5c. Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
K: Rosamund Hodge and Sarah Fine
H: Susanna Clarke, Derek Landy, and John Connolly

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
K: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
H: Where'd You Go, Bernadette

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
K: Of Metal and Wishes by Sarah Fine
H: Skulduggery Pleasant or Steelheart

9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
K: Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge
H: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell and Skulduggery Pleasant

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
K: Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge
H: The Radleys

11. Most memorable character of 2014?
K: Jude from The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken, Theta from The Diviners by Libba Bray
H: Disgraceful Mary Jane of The Scandalous Sisterhood of Prickwillow Place

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
K: Dreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
H: The Orphan's Tales: In the Night Garden

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
K: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
H: My Mad Fat Diary

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
K: The Diviners by Libba Bray
H: I'm a broken record but Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell and Skulduggery Pleasant

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
K: “Things to do today:
1) Breathe in.
2) Breathe out.” - It's Kind of a Funny Story, Ned Vizzini
H: “The more I know of the world, the more I am convinced that I shall never see a man whom I can really love. I require so much!” from Sense & Sensibility

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2014?
K: Excluding novellas and dropped books, The Rose Master (200 pages), Dreams of Gods & Monsters (613 pages)
H: Johannes Cabal and the Blustery Day (20 pages), Longest: The Crimson Petal and the White (900 pages)

17. Book That Shocked You The Most
K: False Sight by Dan Krokos
H: Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination

18. OTP OF THE YEAR
K: Nyx and Ignifex from Cruel Beauty
H: Micah x Drystan from Pantomime

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
K: Evie and Theta from The Diviners
H: Rose and Lissa of Vampire Academy

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
K: Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White
H: The Carpet People by Terry Pratchett

21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
K: The Diviners by Libba Bray
H: Vampire Academy

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
K: Cole from The Darkest Minds trilogy by Alexandra Bracken
H: Drystan of Pantomime

23. Best 2014 debut you read?
K: Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge
H: The only 2014 debut I read was The Paper Magician

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
K: Of Metal and Wishes by Sarah Fine
H: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, but Skulduggery Pleasant's worldbuilding was amazing as well

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
K: The Distance Between Us by Kasie West
H: Skulduggery Pleasant and Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
K: Several but I'll go with Of Metal and Wishes by Sarah Fine
H: My Mad Fat Diary

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
K: Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White
H: The Orphan's Tales: In the Night Garden

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
K: Salt & Storm by Kendall Kulper
H: My Mad Fat Diary

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
K: Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld
H: The Gates

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
K: In the Afterlight by Alexandra Bracken
H: The Magicians

Your Bookish/Blogging Life
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014?
K: Oh, the Books!
H: N/A

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014?
K: I'm not sure but maybe I'll choose The Young World by Chris Weitz
H: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
K: Deux Lectrices' Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books That Make Us Want to Write
H: The Dreams of Gods & Monsters post, hopefully Kan and I can do something like it again.

4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
K: I went to a fairly large book signing in March somewhere in Virginia. I think it was in Arlington? I met a few authors! but I was alone and shy so I'm not sure I'd consider it participation :(
H: N/A

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
K: Having people comment on my reviews! (It means they read them!)
H: Being able to talk about reading slumps

6. (No question).

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
K: My post with the most views was from a WoW but I'm not going to count it. Besides our Dreams of Gods & Monsters post, My review of Of Metal and Wishes and TTT: Top "Ten" New Series I Want To Start got an equal amount of views.
H: Heather's Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I'm Not Sure I Want to Read

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
K: Any of my reviews, honestly.
H: N/A

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
K: I don't think there's anything in particular I found this year!
H: 2nd N Charles. It's forever away, but used books at great prices? <3

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
K: A bunch of them! Look out for my End of the Year post.
H: My Goodreads challenge.

Looking Ahead
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?
K: Sinner by Maggie Stiefvater
H: Dragons at Crumbling Castle

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
K: Of Dreams and Rust by Sarah Fine and Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge
H: Carter & Lovecraft. I don't even know what it's about, but Jonathan L. Howard wrote it so I know I need it.

3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
K: The Storyspinner by Becky Wallace
H: N/A

4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?
K: Untitled by Sherry Thomas
H: Manners & Mutiny! But I'll be devastated to see the series go.

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
K: Read and book blog way more.
H: Get back to reading more. It's also been a minute since I wrote a review and I'd love to do that again as well.


6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
K: None :(
H: N/A

If you read the whole thing, yay! If you skimmed, yay! We had fun filling out the survey :) Happy end of 2014! See you all in 2015~

No comments:

Post a Comment