Thursday, October 31, 2013

Heather's Monthly Roundup: October


This is a new thing we wanna try. We read quite a bit and sometimes we just don't have anything to say that warrants a full review for the books we read.  This will give you a little overview about what we've read and why we read it.  My recommendations will have stars by them.

Blood Roses by Francesca Lia Block  ☆
- I really love FLB's prose and it had been a while since I read anything by her so I chose Blood Roses to begin the month.  It was an incredibly interesting read, but I like the fact that Block doesn't shy away from certain subjects.

The Hostile Hospital by Lemony Snicket
-I'm making my way through this series this year, both for a book club and because I feel like I missed out on it.  This was one of the more interesting books in the series to me because it marked the Baudelaires taking things into their own hands.

The Carnivorous Carnival by Lemony Snicket
- And then this one ends on a note that made me gasp and exclaim a few bad words (even though I saw the actions of a certain character coming).

Wasteland by Francesca Lia Block
- This deals with a touchy subject, but I was glad to read through to the end.


Curtsies & Conspiracies (Free Preview) by Gail Carriger
- No spoilers from me, but can it be November already?

Reggiecide by Chris Dolley  ☆
- I read the first book in this series back in July and was surprised to find there was another book in the series.  I sincerely hope Dolley continues it because I was in tears with this book, it was so hilarious.


The Scary Stories Treasury by Alvin Schwartz
- A re-read for October.  It was on the poll for this month's book club read, but sadly was not voted as such.  I forgot how freaky some of the illustrations were!

Marine Biology by Gail Carriger
- I have to admit I didn't like this novella as much as Carriger's other works.  There were definitely moments with her trademark humor and the romance was cute, but near the end things felt very rushed.  It was a solid three stars from me.

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding  ☆
- Why did I just now read this book?  I desperately want the next two books in the series (and of course, I need to see the movies) because it was just THAT good to me!

The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers  ☆
- I have a review written up for this book, so I will not say much here.  It'll be posted in the next few days, so be on the look out!

The Silver Pigs by Lindsey Davis
- This was disappointing to me.  I picked it up because I heard the author draws huge inspiration from Pratchett (she uses the term "tribute plagiarism") and I was hoping I'd love it.  Sadly I didn't, and the writing was more than a little confusing in some areas.

Glitches by Marissa Meyer
- An interesting read, but only to see how Cinder came to live with the Linh's.  I wish more of her relationship with Garan was touched on because he came across as extremely important to her in Cinder.

Cinder by Marissa Meyer  ☆
- Ah, this was a good read!  I had a few problems with it, nothing's perfect, but I enjoyed it so much and cannot wait to get to Scarlet.

The Queen's Army by Marissa Meyer
- Hmm.  This was just okay.  It was interesting to see the army that was lightly touched upon in the first book expounded on, but something felt lacking.  I did enjoy seeing Z's transformation (isn't it always satisfying to watch the underdog rise up?) and I'm interested in seeing what part he'll be playing in the novels.

The Slippery Slope by Lemony Snicket
- Oh, my glob, this one was so different from the others for a multitude of reasons and it was intense as well.  It's also nice to see time pass in the series in regards to the characters growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment