Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Heather's Waiting on Wednesday #3: Raising Steam

Waiting on Wednesday is a meme hosted by Breaking the Spine designed to showcase upcoming releases that we're excited about.  Check out my pick for this week after the jump.

Title: Raising Steam (Discworld #40)
Author: Terry Pratchett
Release Date: November 7, 2013 (UK) / March 25, 2014 (US)

Summary: To the consternation of the patrician, Lord Vetinari, a new invention has arrived in Ankh-Morpork - a great clanging monster of a machine that harnesses the power of all the elements: earth, air, fire and water. This being Ankh-Morpork, it's soon drawing astonished crowds, some of whom caught the zeitgeist early and arrive armed with notepads and very sensible rainwear. 

Moist von Lipwig is not a man who enjoys hard work - as master of the Post Office, the Mint and the Royal Bank his input is, of course, vital... but largely dependent on words, which are fortunately not very heavy and don't always need greasing. However, he does enjoy being alive, which makes a new job offer from Vetinari hard to refuse... 

Steam is rising over Discworld, driven by Mister Simnel, the man wi' t'flat cap and sliding rule who has an interesting arrangement with the sine and cosine. Moist will have to grapple with gallons of grease, goblins, a fat controller with a history of throwing employees down the stairs and some very angry dwarfs if he's going to stop it all going off the rails...

I have been waiting SO long to be able to make this my WoW pick.

First the title was announced back in March and I was on pins and needles waiting for more info, then Paul Kidby mentioned on Facebook he was finalizing the cover, then the cover came out and I shook and cried at my computer but no further summary came out. Pratchett's Facebook page mentioned he was utilizing likes and tags on Facebook for a Raising Steam machine page, which has been slowly unlocking further information about the book.  Finally, an extended summary was released and now there's even an excerpt available (someone hold me).

If you're a regular reader of the blog, I really don't need to tell you how big a Pratchett fan I am and you can probably guess how excited I will be when I get my hands on this book.



10 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, I could never really get into Pratchett's writing but I hope you'll like the book!

    Here’s my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's understandable, not everything's for everyone. Thanks for checking out our blog!

      Delete
  2. I've heart that his books are fun. Happy reading.

    New GFC follower.

    Glass @ Way Too Hot Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love his humor and the way he blends it with very touching moments.

      I've followed you back, thank you so much!

      Delete
  3. Wow! Number 40! Sounds like a great series. Thanks for sharing :)

    Happy Wednesday!

    http://www.itchingforbooks.com/2013/10/waiting-on-wednesday-68-oblivion.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favorite series. It's hard to believe there are so many books in it now. XD

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I haven't read any of his books yet, but #40 in series?! Do they have to be read in this order or are these books good as stand-alones, too? Anyway, I really must start this series soon.

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are smaller arcs in the series (Rincewind / The Wizards, the Witches, Death, the City Watch, Tiffany Aching, and Moist von Lipwig) as well as stand alone books that don't belong to arcs. You don't need to read them in order (from book one to thirty nine), but if you're reading the arcs it helps to start with the first book in it, even though it's not completely necessary. The books reference past series events a few times, but it's not like you need to read them to get the current book's story. (Sorry, that's so long, I get so passionate about this series. XD) I hope you enjoy the series when you start it!

      Delete
  5. I'm not even gonna pretend that I read the summary because it's book 40 and my friend hasn't quite convinced me to start the books. I know a lot about the series though because a friend of mine is a huge fan. I hope you enjoy reading this one.
    Come check out my WOW post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you decide to start the series, I hope you enjoy the books!

      Thank you so much for checking out our blog!

      Delete