Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Heather's Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I Was Forced to Read

Top Ten Tuesday is the creation of The Broke and the Bookish, each week they post a list and one of their writers answers.  This week's topic is Ten Books I Was "Forced" to Read


Is this in a good way or a bad way?  I've had both, honestly.  I'll give you five books I did not like and five books I loved.

Ones I didn't like:
01 Wicked by Gregory Maguire - This book is pretty polarizing, isn't it?  Either you loved it or you didn't.  I fall into the latter.

02 Quiet:  The Power of Introverts in a World That Won't Stop Talking by Susan Cain - This was a book club pick and I was looking forward to it, but I didn't like how it was written.

03 Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro - Some of you are probably angry at me.  I didn't hate this book, but I really didn't enjoy it like I thought I would.

04 Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James - I think I've talked about not liking this book before.

05 Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi - Another book club read.  The author is a pretty cool lady, but I didn't like the book unfortunately.

Ones I liked:
01 Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky - I had to read this as part of my AP 12th grade lit class and it sort of kicked off an obsession with classic lit for me.

02 The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling - I got into this very late actually!  My friend Celia was talking about reading the books and I was "encouraged" in a way to go read them myself.

03 All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque - I was sent this in a birthday package by my friend Virginia and I'm very glad she sent it to me.  It's a very haunting book about the realities of war for the soldiers fighting in it.

04 The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - I joined a book club about two years ago and this was the first pick.  I'm glad it was because I finished the book in three days (we were supposed to read it over three weeks but the site was down quite a lot) and couldn't get it off my mind for the longest time.

05 Pay It Forward by Catherine Ryan Hyde - I read this one in ninth grade and I'd still love to own a copy of it.  I feel like the book was (of course) so much better than the movie for all the things that the movie left out.  Ugh, I really want to read this again!

6 comments:

  1. Oooh these are some cool picks! I think I agree with Harry Potter and the Book Thief. Definitely loved those! As for Fifty Shades, I really didn't think much of it, but it made me really uncomfortable D: I didn't liked the writing style of Shatter Me at first, because it was odd, but I loved Unravel Me... maybe you'd like it better too! :D Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I'll have to give Unravel Me a go then! Fifty Shades made me uncomfortable in some parts as well.

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Great list, you have some great reads! Fifty Shades, not sure why anybody would force somebody to read those books! I really need to start Shatter Me so I can catch up with everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fifty Shades was another book club read, although I'm not sure why it was picked either. Most members seemed to really dislike it.

      Delete
  3. I, of course, adore Harry Potter and I also loved The Book Thief. I actually did enjoy Wicked, but it really is one that divides people. And Fifty Shades is the most awful thing I think I have ever read... ever! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw snippets of Fifty Shades before I read it, so I knew I wasn't going to like it. I still tried to get something out of it, but, wow, I think it may be the worst thing I've read as well.

      Thank you for checking us out!

      Delete