Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Heather's Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I Would Love To See As A Movie / TV Show

Top Ten Tuesday is the creation of The Broke and the Bookish, each week they post a list and one of their writers answers.  This week's topic is Ten Books You Would Love to See as a Movie / TV Show


I'm gonna go with mini series for the format I wish the books would be in.  I feel like that's the best when you're trying to adapt a book because it gives you so many episodes to work with and the ability for those episodes to be an hour or an hour and a half a piece, plus, if all the adaptations went the way I'm imagining them in my head, the mini series would be required to stop when the books do so that the series doesn't go on forever and ever and lose all its charm The Office (US version).


01  Discworld 4 lyfe - No but really, I would love to see someone with serious passion about this series adapt it.  I know Going Postal, Wyrd Sisters, and Soul Music had adaptations (I have yet to see the Colour of Magic / Light Fantastic movie mashup that was done) and I thought they were well done.  There's a City Watch series coming up sometime in the future, so I'll be eagerly awaiting that, but I'd love to see someone who's so mad about the series sit down and come up with adventures I could watch, whether they be live action or animated.

02  The Parasol Protectorate series - This could be really cute if done right!  They could throw in little allusions to the Finishing School series (buy book two when it comes out in November and spaz with me plz) and all that.

03  The Diviners - Sometimes I feel like a broken record making these lists but I have authors I really love and I wish others read so I could jabber endlessly to them.  I honestly loved this book with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns when I read it and am eagerly awaiting The Lair of Dreams.

04  The Windup Bird Chronicle - Murakami books / movies / series will always be a mind screw, but I think his magnus opus really deserves a series.  It's the perfect way to introduce unsuspecting would be readers to his works and their depth and complexity.

05  Harry Potter - Might not be fair in that it already had eight highly successful movies, but as a huge fan of the books I'd love an adaptation more faithful to the source material.  People have been throwing around that they'd love to see a Harry Potter mini series and I have to agree, specifically for the reasons I listed in the intro paragraph.

06  The Johannes Cabal series - Howard is planning another novel in this universe and I couldn't be giddier, so a mini series would be lovely.  They'd have to get a magnificent dude to play Johannes and a really charming guy to play Horst (casting has begun in my mind and cannot be stopped!) though, otherwise I would not be happy.

07  The Weetzie Bat series - I have this incredible love for Block's storytelling and prose, but also for the world's she creates in my head with her works.  They're worlds I'd love to live in and would love to see come alive.

08  The Night Circus - Did anyone not fall in love with the beautiful descriptions in this book?  I've heard chatter that this is in the process of becoming a movie, but until it does it's making my "Become a mini series please" list.

09  The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place series - I just finished reading the first book in this series and it was lovely (and in the same vein as the Finishing School series and the Series of Unfortunate Events books, so if that appeals to you, check them out!).

10  The Fifty Shames of Earl Grey series - If you liked the original series, that's cool; we all dig different things.  I thought it spawned a few of the funniest parodies I'd ever had the pleasure to read though.  This series in particular had me laughing so hard at the dice scene in the Space Needle that I was crying for several minutes afterwards.  It'd have to be rated to an older audience, but my goodness, I'd love to see it happen.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I'd love to watch Parasol Protectorate & Finishing school mini series! And The Night Circus, definitely! Harry Potter series would also be awesome, but with same actors, because if they'd change them it would be so weird :)
    Great list!

    My Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like it'd just be amazing to see the PP / FS series on screen. I wonder if Carriger is open to those options.

      Harry Potter with the same actors would be great, I just hope they could stay a bit truer to the source. SO much from the books I would've loved to see.

      Delete