Sunday, September 8, 2013

Kaniesha Reviews: The Iron-Jawed Boy by Nikolas Lee


Title: The Iron-Jawed Boy
Series: Sky Guardian Chronicles #1
Author: Nikolas Lee
Release date: July 1, 2013
Publisher: Parthenon Publishing House
Genres: fantasy, mythology
GoodreadsAmazonBook DepositoryabebooksBarnes & Noble
Two hundred years have passed since the lands of the Outerworld humans were destroyed, save but a handful of rebellious cities. In their ruin, the last gods of Earth, the Illyrians, rose victorious. And ever since, it's with a cruel iron fist they've ruled over their subjects--desperate to keep their thrones.

Fast approaching his teens, Ionikus Reaves knows the gods' malevolence all too well, orphaned by them after their call for a military draft on Eldanar, his home island. But when a power once dormant in Ion boils to the surface, he's whisked off to a hidden world of the island, where he comes face-to-face with the mighty Illyrians.

For Ion is a Guardian--a reincarnated god bound to serve and protect the pantheon he's so quickly learned to hate. Now torn between his obligations as a Guardian and his hatred of the gods he's to guard, Ion finds himself in the middle of a war within himself. A war that could uncover a dark secret of the gods'...and split the pantheon in two. 

Review: The author gave me an e-copy of this book for an honest review so here it is! I'm not sure how The Iron-Jawed Boy got into my to-read list but I'm glad it did! 

When I read the synopsis before starting it, I was a bit scared of the main character being 10 years old. However, him being ten doesn't affect the plot negatively at all! He is, of course, mouthy and makes selfish decisions. But what child doesn't? They think they've got everything figured out only to realize too late that they don't and never really did. That's what happens in this book!

There were some things that threw me off here and there, one thing in particular is when Ion's sister says to one of the antagonists, "Thanks, you're a doll." It didn't quite fit in with the rest of the dialogue and I've thought about it a lot. Maybe it's just me?

Overall, I'd highly recommend this book to anyone who likes unpredictable action-esque books with super likable characters. There's also a lot of humor, it's really entertaining! The skylord is my favorite.

/spazz mini review

This is SO SUPER CUTE. And a bit dark. I love it a lot. I love it more than I thought I would! And damn, that ending! Maybe I'm delusional but I wasn't looking for that ending at all.

I hope I'll get around to adding to this because there are so many passages and quotes I highlighted while reading that really got to me.

Rating: 5/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment